Sunday, February 20, 2011

"Endometriosis Linked to Increased Risk for Melanoma"

Well. Well. Well.
Isn't that interesting...

As I have mentioned I have met some amazing people due to the internet. As awesome of a support group as I have, sometimes it helps talking directly to someone who is going through situations very similar to mine. We are able to share personal fears, bounce ideas off of each other, share research, and just VENT without the fear of scaring someone we love. 

Today I received an email from one of my melanoma girlfriends who shared an article discussing how endometriosis may be linked to increased risk for melanoma. 

Although this article was written in 2007, it still causes me to scratch my head. As most of you know, after seeing 9 doctors, and going through a ridiculous number of tests, I had surgery in November 2010 to remove endometriosis and a cyst off of my right ovary. My own personal McDreamy also took out my appendix since there had been speculation that my pain could have been the result of chronic appendicitis (and like McDreamy said--I don't need my appendix anyway, if he could grab it, he was taking it.)

Needless to say--when I healed from that surgery, I was thrilled to think I was finished with doctors for a while. I believe that is another reason the melanoma diagnosis shocked me so much. I felt fine. I wasn't experiencing any pain. I wasn't sick. I finally felt healthy for the first time in months; however, I was being told I have melanoma...something I can't have McDreamy just "fix."

Bummer.

So, who knows if the high ups believe there is a correlation between melanoma and endometriosis. I just know that, ironically, I have had both in the last 5 months.

No comments: