Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Rash Pathology Report

I received a call from the very sweet--I will be scheduling to see her from now on--dermatologist at Sloan Kettering today. The pathology report of my rash came back supporting the two things Dr. Lee mentioned. Basically, the pathology report was not definitive, except that I have no need to stress.

1) It could be eczema brought on by the drug I am (possibly) receiving. According to the pathology report, it could be possible. She mentioned eczema but then quickly jumped into what she really thinks is causing the rash

2) She believes the rash is caused by the inflammation of capillaries that have ruptured which allows small amounts of blood to accumulate in the surrounding tissues. This is usually seen in children. She said it is usually located on the belly, booty, and legs, but can also been seen on the upper parts on your body. It can also cause joint pain a few weeks before the rash appears. (HELLO, Y'ALL REMEMBER THE PAIN/SWELLING I HAD IN MY HANDS FOR A FEW WEEKS?!! It is completely gone now!) She believes it could be a new response from the drug.

Dr. Lee said I am quite an unusual case so she is going to present it to her group of colleagues on Thursday to hear their opinion. She repeated again that it is usually seen in children so this is unique. She said we may have to do some further testing; however, it is VERY possible we will just let my body heal on its own. She feels certain that it is nothing serious. That is the most important part.

I would post updated pictures of my rash, but quite frankly, I did not feel like shaving my legs today. ;-) The rash IS healing--without medication--but it is still covering my legs. Dr. Lee said that the vessels in legs heal the slowest so she believes it will just take time. I will find out on Thursday/Friday if further testing and treatment is needed.

It will be interesting to see if this happens again closer to my next treatment date!

This is not the first time a doctor has told me my case is unusual. I never do like the sound of that, but at least I make for a non-boring patient, right?

There is always a positive.


No comments: